Sunday 13 January 2008

Today's musings

Having done this event a few years ago, I have a degree of experience knowing what I need to do and what I need to have with me on the bike. We are all different in our physiologies and requirements for hydration and energy. Last time when I went out for long rides I had my big bottles of energy drink (usually unflavoured) and a Camelback with about 3 litres. I really needed it most of the time. I sweat a lot so need to replace fluids at quite a rate. I find that the Camelback is brilliant as the tube is always close at hand. The energy drinks are a very personal thing. Some people like flavoured drinks, but I find that it can get a bit sickly. Often I used neutral Hi5 and added some squash. I know that some people just use squash.

When I rode the Etape in 2006, I had bags of Hi5 powder (measured in advance) with added salt. That is great if you know that there will be water to add to the bottles, but that year there was a real problem with the provision of water, and at one point I had to buy Coke and Perrier!!! Not fun when you are at the top of a mountain because the gas gets pressurised as you descend - hence getting Coke squirted under pressure out through my nose!

Anyway, I found last year that just using an electrolyte drink, like Zym, was excellent. I had to eat, so use energy bars or malt loaf. Some people dont like to eat solids on the bike, and some dont like energy drinks, so it is important that everyone training finds their own optimum solution.

This is especially relevant this time, as my 16 year old son is planning to do the ride with us, and he has no experience of this sort of event. He may be fit and strong, but will he manage long hours in the saddle day after day? He has to get used to how his body deals with its needs on the rides. It is no good experimenting with stuff on the event - you have to get used to it in advance.

At the moment with the weather not being to hot (!) it is not obvious to everyone how much they need to keep hydrated. It keeps you going longer and helps prevent cramp. I have had cramps so bad that I had to get off the bike and kneel on the road and howl - not a nice feeling at all.

Hey ho, got to go and get dinner now - later!

No comments: