Tuesday 15 January 2008

Foul weather

The weather has been really horrible the last couple of days and the incentive to get out on the bike is just not there. So what do we do instead? Today I went to the gym to try the programme set for me to strengthen the legs, back and core. Gyms these days are like medieval torture dungeons, with apparatus to hurt every bit of you. The nice fellow who set the programme for me has a Masters degree in sports science and sadism. I have to get into these contorted positions first and then lift or push the weights.

After a nice warmup on the static bike it was off to the weight area. At least I am not lifting too much at the moment (not on the bar anyway!). Even so, it was pretty tough and by the end of the hour I felt I had done a reasonable first attempt. If nothing else it made me feel virtuous.

I then had a shower and a nice drink of Zym electrolyte replacement which made me feel a lot better about going back to work and trying to get more people to buy Zym !!! I know I push it a bit, but hey, someone has to!

Another way to keep on getting the hours on the bike when the weather is foul is to use the other torture machine, the turbo trainer. This really is a horrible invention. At least on a bike you get to see scenery, and there is sometimes scenery in the gym, but the turbo trainer is really tedious. An old coach of mine used to sit for hours on his TT with a fan blowing on him to keep cool, and he would watch cycling DVDs to motivate him.

No comments: