Friday 18 January 2008

Long Suffering

I feel that it is appropriate to mention that whilst we who cycle madly suffer long miles and hours on the bike, there are also those who support us in the background, in what they do to help and in letting us go out for the long hours of training without too much complaint. When I mentioned to my wife and youngest son that I was going to do LeJog again they did groan a bit, but also realise that it is for a good cause and that I am a nicer person when I am cycling lots (must be something to do with the endorphins). In fact, the long suffering Mrs P was very generous in that she gave me a new bike for Christmas (and birthday and next Christmas ...). It is lovely, but I don't want to get it wet!!!

I think I mentioned previously that I got my last bike in the November before the last LeJog and before that I had not ridden a road bike since school days. My school bike was a lovely Holdsworth, and when that was stolen I bought a Roy Thame. These were lovely bikes then, with possibly 10 gears, Reynolds 531 double butted frame and so on. I was quite unprepared for how bikes had changed and was dead impressed with the weight of my aluminium Specialized Allez Elite. However, the Roubaix is all carbon and ridiculously light.

I will continue to train on the old Allez, as I like it and it is currently kitted out with winter tyres and mudguards. It is also heavier so good to train on. When the weather gets better I'll be out on the new red devil.

So I say thank you for the bike, and for all the joy its going to give, and the fact that it should ease the journey from Lands End to John O'Groats. Thanks to the family too, for putting up with the training.

No comments: