Sunday 13 April 2008

Weak as a kitten

Well, after my ride with Henry in the wind and rain, I caught a cold, which was bad news as I had just booked a dive holiday in the Red Sea. So all the way to the airport I was wondering whether I should cancel the trip, as my ears were blocked. As it was, I missed the first few days diving because my ears would not equalize, and it was painful testing them!
The boat was fab (lived on it for a week) and we stayed on it whist we were moored off a tiny island in the middle of the Red Sea where there was nothing on the horizon for 360 degrees apart from a smaller island about a mile away. When I eventually could dive, the first thing I saw was a shark - yipee! There were 2 wrecks on this island, of which one was difficult to see as it was coral encrusted after about 100 years.
As a way to clear my ears, one of the guys suggested snorting salt water up my nose. OUCH. Anyway, it helped me dive, but I did get a bit worried when I saw blood in my mask! Think of the sharks!
It was a great time, but not best for cycle training, as there was little to do but dive, eat, sleep and read. I also think that the drugs I was taking to clear my head probably had the effect of suppressing the cold, and when I came home I felt lousy for a couple of days, and also had the after effects of too much fruit and tamarind juice!
So the net effect is that today I felt as weak as a kitten and then got a terrible headache to boot! It can only get better from now on in - can't it?

No comments: