Saturday 16 February 2008

OK so I need to lose more weight!!!

Today we had our first group training ride. It was a beautiful day but jolly chilly. Ice on the roads was a serious threat, as it was -2 degrees when we left my house! At Iain and Jules' place the team was ready and waiting with their bottles of Zym and various other concoctions. I had my Zym and energy drink and also a Camelback with about 3 litres and all the spare tools and food (Malt loaf for Henry) and so on.


We carefully headed off to Christophers, the fantastic hospice for CHASE just outside Guildford where we had a guided tour from the lovely Bridget, ate flapjacks made by the entertainer (Jilly) and met with the Mayor of Guildford and Andrew Castle. Dave the chauffeur was also there of course, with his trusty camera to record all mayoral events.


We were 8 riders to start with, and then Ciaran had to go home to load the car for his ski trip. Everyone was quite fired up, and we headed down through Chiddingfold (where we left Ciaran) and headed off to Petworth. After that came Duncton Hill, which saw me getting left well behind (note to self - must get fitter and faster on hills - I think that means losing a lot more weight) but making it all the way without cheating.


Chichester beckoned and we sped up as we saw the cathedral on the skyline. The day was just fab though, with absolutely clear blue skies - Fraser must have good contacts!


I had forgotten just how many hills there are on the way home, via Haselmere, but by this time we had had a little pep talk on trying to ride more as a group. It sounded a bit like a whinge coming from me, definitely the weakest rider today. However, there was a point to it. We are doing this ride as a group event, and it will be really important that we work that way. I am willing to bet that everyone will have a less than perfect day between now and end of June, and also a few not so good hours on the big ride. We all need to support each other and maintain the group. There will be time for some lightheartedness at times, but ultimately we all want to get to the same place.


I had a near miss in Milford, when what I can only think was a blind woman seemed to try to drive into me. She was oblivious to our hand signals and then to my remonstrations for her being so utterly careless. Hey ho, I am sure there will be more of that.


Anyway, I did feel a bit of a fraud today, with my lovely lightweight carbon bike bringing up the rear. What I really need to to is shed some of my own weight and really hit the hills harder and with more aggression - it has always been a weakness, so I know I have to work on it.


Overall I was really impressed with the team. There is a lot of fitness there and at the moment only I need to worry. Henry (16) really impressed me too - for someone who only got a bike at Christmas he is doing really well, although he was a bit embarassed when he could not get his feet out of the cleats in time at a junction, and fell over!


Thanks once again to those whom we leave behind on long days like this, and for the Valentine's Day Champagne Marmite from my lover!! The families put up with a lot when we go out all day and return tired and sweaty, but they know that the cause is just and worth the sacrifice and can justify it on that basis.
Henry and I are off to the nutritionist on Thursday, and I will post some news after that. I understand it is quite an experience.

No comments: